Earlier today President Trump announced that enough progress has been made in the negotiations with the Chinese, so he will be delaying the increase in the List 3 tariffs which was scheduled for March 2. This announcement did not indicate how long the delay will be in effect for.
Americans for Free Trade, of which (Gemini shippers Group is a member) issued a statement regarding the announcement – https://tariffshurt.com/2019/02/statement-on-tariff-deadline-extension/
As with the delay on January 1, USTR will need to issue a Federal Register notice with the details of the delay so that CBP can program its system so that tariffs don’t automatically increase on March 2.
- Trump to delay China tariff hike due to ‘substantial progress’ – https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/24/trump-china-tariffs-delayed-1182730
- Trump to Delay Tariff Increases on Chinese Imports – https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-to-delay-tariff-increases-on-chinese-imports-11551050187?mod=hp_lead_pos1
- Trump Extends China Tariff Deadline After ‘Substantial’ Progress – https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-24/trump-extends-china-tariff-truce-after-substantial-progress
- Trump delays China tariff hike, announces Xi summit, citing ‘substantial progress’ in trade talks – https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-delays-china-tariff-hike-announces-xi-summit-citing-substantial-progress-in-trade-talks
- Trump puts off new China tariffs again, cites progress in talks with Xi – https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-puts-new-china-tariffs-again-cites-progress-talks-xi-n975211
Gemini Shippers Group